Remove the bloom from the brie, being careful not to cut away too much of the cheese. The bloom will not ruin the dip, but it will not melt causing some lumping. Place the brie, cream cheese and butter into a small crock pot set on low. Stir occasionally until all ingredients have melted. Continue stirring until all ingredients are blended together. This will take some time; the butter will melt and float to the top, but with continued stirring, all ingredients will blend together into a smooth, rich, creamy fondue.
Helpful Hints & Serving Suggestions:
- Lowfat, whipped and flavored cream cheeses do not work well.
- Do not let it come to a boil as it will scorch.
- Serve with baguette slices.
- Place a spoonful on a slice and arrange them on a festive party platter.
- For variation, sprinkle red pepper flakes, cinnamon, your favorite herbs or cracked black peppercorns on top before serving.
- It is also good for dipping mushrooms, ham cubes, vegetables or whatever you like to dip.
- Drizzle over steamed vegetables or pasta.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator and reheated in the microware, just warm and mix to incorporate the butter. Do not let the leftovers melt too quickly.