- 30 mins
- 80 mins
Savory Apple Tart with Gouda Crust
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut int 1/2" cubes
- 3 ounces Gouda, shredded
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- 3 tablespoons ice water, plus additional if needed
SAVORY APPLE TART
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2" slices
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
TO PREPARE GOUDA CRUST
- Place butter, cheese, flour, sugar and salt in bowl of food processor fitted with knife blade attachment. Pulse food processor until coarse crumbs form. Add ice water and pulse until dough just comes together in a ball. If mixture is too dry, add additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it comes together.
- Transfer dough to work surface and pat into a thick disk. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Lightly flour work surface and rolling pin; roll dough into 13-inch round. Transfer to 9-1/2-inch round tart pan; pat down and cut off excess dough. Line crust with parchment paper; fill with pie weights or dry beans. Place tart pan on rimmed baking pan; transfer to oven and bake 15 minutes.
TO PREPARE SAVORY APPLE TART
- Remove weights and parchment from crust; sprinkle crust with 1 tablespoon sugar and flour. Arrange apples in concentric circles over crust. Brush apples with butter; sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and thyme. Bake 35 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is deep golden brown. Transfer to wire rack; let stand 10 minutes. Slice and serve warm.